February 19, 2009

In Today's News

This was the article that I read in today's news:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/02/19/20090219embryomixup19-ON.html

I'm going to go out on a limb here and express my opinion. If you don't agree with me, I respect that, but this is my feeling on the topic.

First of all, it is horrible that a fertility clinic screwed up their procedures and the woman was implanted with the wrong fertilized egg. Horrible. To me that's pretty much just as bad as sending the wrong baby home with the wrong family after its born.

HOWEVER

I completely disagree with her choice to abort the pregnancy. Are you kidding me??? I don't think I would be able to do that. Granted you never know how you'll react once you're in the situation. My initial, knee-jerk reaction was how could you abort a pregnancy that you worked so hard to get? Just knowing all the frustration and grief and heartache that comes with infertility and "fertility" treatments I don't know if I would be able to do what she did. I think I would definitely be pissed about the mistake that was made but I would continue the pregnancy.

Of course what the article doesn't say was how far into her pregnancy she was. For all we know she could have been only 6 weeks in. I guess maybe then I can lean more towards that way. Who knows...

I had to say something about this - it just blew my mind.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

There is NO WAY I would have aborted. NONE! I sure as hell would haved sued the crap outta them, but I would never abort.

She killed a baby. Just because it was the wrong one.