December 11, 2008

I'm a little confused

So I follow this awfully written blog on Redbook.com, the Infertility Diaries. Which ironically current has a pregnant woman blogging. I mean don't get me wrong - good for her, and isn't that the ultimate goal for all of us? But once you get pregnant on "The Infertility Diaries", in my opinion - you're done. I don't care about your morning sickness or the fact that you got twins off of clomid and IUI.

But I digress....

So on this silly blog/website that I for some reason am drawn to check even though every time I do I can't believe this lady works for a magazine... sorry... need to focus.... on this website she does this thing where women can post their infertility questions and she has her RE doctor friend answer the questions. I asked a question about the effectiveness of clomid and whether it was worth it to do another cycle or if we should just move onto IUI. The reason I ask this question is because with our first cycle we only got one follicle and I was under the impression that clomid=more follicles.
Apparently that's not the case.
The answer I got back was this:

Most cycles of Clomid produce one egg; some two, and more than that is less frequent. Even one Clomid follicle can improve your chances by making your timing more accurate and improving your progesterone level.

W.T.F?

Let me review really quickly... from what I can tell ovulation is not my issue. But I seem to be on a drug that is for ovulation. Something is wrong with this picture... I'm guessing that this is the best way for them to monitor my cycle and for us to time things really well, but to be honest I think we could probably do that without the drugs that make me a crazylady. *sigh*

Well at least I know now that there really isn't much to be disappointed when only one follicle develops - now I know that's normal. Would have been good to know that earlier...

Which brings me back to the Infertility Diaries... she got five follicles - how does that work?? All the women I know who have used clomid (which granted is not alot, only four) have only gotten one follicle and a bunch of craziness as a result. Is there any real people out there who have had better results?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I dont know about the whole clomid thing...never taken it.

But I have to say I agree 100% with the blog. I LOVED it when it was JJ and Jen writing it. Just loved it. I have nothing good to say about it now. But I, like you check it every so often. Yay for her, she is having twins. I'm happy for her. But her writing sucks, and I dont find her engaging what so ever. I almost posted a blog about it actually....then I felt bad. I am SO glad I'm not the only one. =)