December 16, 2008

Infertility Diaries

In one of my posts I mentioned this blog that I keep reading that is on Redbook.com. Its called the Infertility Diaries. The authors have been individuals who are dealing with infertility and is a way for them to share their experience and for others to find support in their own infertility situation. I started following the blog back in May/June timeframe. There were two other authors who had just gotten pregnant. They continued to blog through their first trimester. I didn't have a problem with any of the posts because alot of it was still related to being an infertile who had just gotten pregnant. They blogged about the concerns and the issues that they were still confronting. But once they reached the end of the first trimester they stopped blogging.

Over the last two months or so there has been a new blogger. She has been trying officially since January 2008. She was able to get pregnant on her second round of IUI, with twins nonetheless! That is fantastic and its great news for her. There's some controversy going on with the readers right now. The writer has been blogging about her pregnancy symptoms, how she's getting morning sickness, and her boobs are acting funky, etc. A reader posted a comment that basically said I'm an infertile and your blogging is making me sad. In response the blogger wrote I'm sorry that I'm making you sad, I'm going to be blogging through the first trimester so if my normal posts bother you so much you should only read on Wednesdays when I have posts from a doctor answering your questions... and here's some other infertility blogs you can follow. (I'm heavily summarizing here....)

I have some mixed feelings about what's being posted. I have no problem with her continuing to blog but I am in agreement that I don't visit the Infertility Diaries to read about somebody's pregnancy symptoms which just reminds me that I am not lucky enough to have experienced those yet. I do have a problem with the fact that she works for Redbook.com and she posted the response that I mentioned above. I think the fact that she works for the magazine puts an added responsibility to how she is writing - she's getting paid to do this while the other bloggers were not part of the magazine publishing world. I also think a big issue with alot of the readers is they just don't identify with her. Many of us have been struggling to become pregnant for well over a year. Myself its been since Oct 2006, so 2 years, 2 months... I think readers are having a hard time identifying with her due to the short length of trying and the quick success.

I've got the link to the blog on here under my list of blogs that I follow. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on what is going on with the blog.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

HOnestly, I really just dont like the blog anymore. =/ I still follow JJ's and Jens personal blogs though. =)