January 13, 2009

IUI today

Officially the two week wait is on. Went in this morning for the IUI procedure. Poor dh had a rough time of it - he said that the selection of materials for inspiration were about three decades old and it was hard to focus because of all the activity walking back and forth outside the door. I feel for him and all the guys out there who have to give samples/deposits. Once he was done we waited for it to be my turn. It was relatively simple, and painless. Dh got 52 million motile sperm so he did a good job there, the downside is that if his morphology holds true only 9% of those are actually decent which takes us down to under 5 million of good sperm. Overall though I know to be happy with those kind of numbers. I'm hoping that with that in combination that we have three (albeit moving) targets that hopefully the troops can come up with one good connection and implantation.

Essentially what the nurses did (since I didn't need to see a doc, and haven't in three months) was insert a catheter into my uterus and then slowly inject the swimmers into my uterus. The objective was to overfill my uterus so that way the swimmers were pushed into my tubes and therefore enhancing the chances of connecting with an egg.

I took the day off of work since the process took essentially all morning - we showed up at 8:30ish and didn't get out of there until about 11:30ish. So I'm enjoying yet another day on the couch. Dh is super sweet and stayed home from work with me too.

Keeping fingers crossed. On the other hand if this does not work, I know I'll be upset, but now we know the protocol that my ovaries respond to so we could hopefully get another optimal cycle right away.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

my fingers are crossed for you and me. My IUI is tomorrow.

'Murgdan' said...

Thanks for de-lurking! And see...now I've found a new blog to read! :-)

Wishing you a bearable 2WW with an excellent result at the end of it!